Thursday, October 23, 2014

.........Last Meal and Pepsodent.

Hi again all.
 I'm back with some more taste tests and a few words that my brain insists I put down. Now you may notice a few design changes, I thought the old look was a bit dreary, if you like the old way better, drop me a line, or just leave a comment at the bottom of any entry! Also you can now sign your email address at the top of the page and you will be notified whenever I publish a new entry! Now on to today's taste test.
    I know  you are thinking , "how many taste tests will he do?" the answer is... More. Yes there are more to go, perhaps many more. I am expecting to hear from the folks at About Time , they said they were sending some samples my way and I hope to do a series of taste test of their products soon.  First up let's look at another shall we.....

Okay now that's out of the way. I often go to a website called Bariatric Pal, ( www.bariatricpal.com)  It is the worlds largest gathering  online of pre and post bariatric surgical patients out there, as well as people just thinking about it.
    Now one of the big theme I have come across is hiding your surgery. Yes hiding the fact you are having bariatric surgery. Now I know there is a stigma attached to the surgery, people who do not know about it, think it's cheating or a cop out. Basically they do not know the sacrifices you have to make, and that you still have to do the work yourself.
    These stigma's are worse for men, Woman seem to understand more and even applaud, for instance you see celebrities go on Oprah, or The View etc. and  talk about their surgery. Men you see them  bring it up once then let it go.  However; these woman seem to by a huge margin hide the surgery from friends coworkers even in some cases family members. So I asked why, and here is what was said, a number of women said it was private etc. several said they felt it put stress on them to achieve ( I think there should be and if you cant take responsibility now, how will you do it after?) and not to fail. Here is the weird part the men on the site ( very few still) all agreed with me that they shared it with anyone and everyone.
   So even though the stigma on men being so blatant, and the number of surgeries on men so much lower than on women, but men are much more open about the surgery. Interesting.
  I wanted to talk about why. Yes as in why I am doing this. I am doing this to live, to be able to walk more than 20 yards without being out of breath again. To never have to shop in the big and tall section, and settle for a certain type of clothes, to never wonder if I would fit in a seat when I go out to a movie. To not have to buy two airline tickets and reserve the seatbelt extender. To not be stared at by so many people in public. Those stares hurt more than you can imagine.
   We have a big week next week, my barium swallow and stress test are on Monday, and I get my Mental health clearance on Tuesday. Basically the last two big pieces in this puzzle. You know my wife Hope, asked me what my last meal would be before the surgery, kind of a one last splurge probably two days before surgery. So many things come to mind, some of my all time favorites like homemade lasagna, ham and cheese sandwich , hot dogs, chicken broccoli ziti alfredo, etc. When it comes down to it, it will probably be breakfast at donut king in Weymouth, with at least one chocolate frosted donut. Lunch would be five guys, the single best burgers and fries on the east coast hands down. Dinner will be something  nice with the wife, maybe a glass of wine and something to remember. I will have to make it the day before the day before surgery, as I don't want that food on my breath the next morning, after all no liquids at all after midnight the night before, so no brushing your teeth either. No Pepsodent to the rescue.
   Now I know many moons after the surgery it is possible to eat these things again, just in very very small portions.
  So what else is happening besides the tests coming up? Well I will announce today I weighed in at 346.2 pounds. That's down from 361 two weeks ago. Now I have to add in a two pound clothing allowance, so I consider this a 12 to 13 pound loss.  I have to lose 18 before November 22 to push the final button for the surgery. I know that I can do this.
   It is also time to join a gym. I have looked at several places. Some of my awesome co-workers are trying to get a group discount to the YMCA next to our work. I would love this, as they have pools, aqua-cise, sauna, hot tub etc, and it would allow me to workout before work and not have to go to work reeking of a workout. If that does not work there is a place in Weymouth that recently opened and I think would be my backup plan.
   I will be testing another new product tomorrow and again on Friday. I'll post the next entry on Friday as well. Until then I say  thank you for reading and taking this journey with me. Be safe.

I leave you with today's quote.

“I don't want to wake up dead tomorrow and realize I didn't even try.
Ryan E. Day

No comments:

Post a Comment